Saturday, May 16, 2015

Taking Steps and Making Strides to be More Environmentally Friendly - Paper Towels

The last of my paper towels. Soon to be replaced with a rags

So, I have recently started a new journey to becoming more environmentally friendly and a better Environmentally Responsible Consumer.

The past few weeks since I've been thinking of ways I can cut down on waste in my home, how I can better serve as well as to save money on unnecessary products.

I think that it's sometimes difficult in our need-everything-now, throw-away culture to take a step back and really take a look at how much we buy, waste and throw away simply because we can. We have SO MANY options available to us in North America that it's become so simple to throw something away, whereas just a few generations ago, they were told to "Make Due and Mend"


One decision I've made for my household, and one that seems to cut deeply emotionally for me is... no longer buying paper towels. I *love* paper towels. I use them to wipe up spills, I line my produce drawers with them, I'll occasionally blow my nose with them, I clean my mirrors with them and the list can really, go on for just about ever.
Anyhoo... I'm on my last roll of paper towel, and it sort of sucks to see the roll get smaller and smaller, even though I'm glad it means I'll be taking another step towards being more Environmentally Responsible.

So, I've upcycled a large, empty coffee can that I covered with contact paper, both of which were already in the house to hold my rags on the counter so they are still easily accessible and in a convenient place for anyone to grab. I think I'll probably end up finding a nice basket or something at Value Village  or on sale at one of the grocery stores I frequent and use the can for something else in the future, but for now, that's what I'll use when my paper towels run out. 

While I love using paper towels and they are convenient, I think it will feel good to make the change and to be more Environmentally Responsible.

*UPDATE ABOUT ONE MONTH AFTER I RAN OUT OF PAPER TOWEL*

So, I am still using my upcycled coffee can to hold my rags and I am still liking it. The only thing that sort of bothers me is that when my cutting boards and hot pad/trivet thinger slip and end up on the counter, they push the can all around, but that's not really a huge deal. I guess what I would like is if the can were heavier to help keep the cutting boards etc all in place and standing up against the wall like my paper towel holder did.

C'est la vie, small price to pay, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment